Valeri P. Tolstoy
Doctor of Chemical Sciences, Professor at Department of Solid State Chemistry, lab. 2222
Scopus ID: 6701811375;
Researcher ID: J-3171-2013;
Research Gate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Valeri_Tolstoy
- Successive Ionic Layer Deposition synthesis,
- Layer-by-Layer synthesis,
- Nanolayers and Nanoparticles Synthesis,
- Colloid & Interface Science in “soft chemistry” conditions,
- Optical Spectroscopy of Nanostructures and Interfaces,
- Electron Microscopy,
- Education in Chemistry and Physics including Material Research and Nanotechnology,
- Applied Chemistry of Nanomaterials.
Academic Education and Qualification
2009 - Dr. of Science in Solid State Chemistry
1980 - Dr. of Chem. (Ph.D.). (supervisors prof. Valentin B. Aleskovski and ass. prof. Galina N. Kuznetzova).
1974–1977 — Ph.D. studies at the Solid State Chemistry Department, Lensovet Technological Institute (Technical University).
1968–1974 — Studies at the Faculty of Physical Chemistry at Lensovet Technological Institute (Technical University).
2010 – present - Professor, Department of Chemistry, Saint Petersburg State University.
1996-2009: Assoc. Professor, Department of Chemistry, Saint Petersburg State University.
2006: Visiting Research Fellow, INSA (Lyon Technical University), Lyon, France;
2005: Visiting Research Fellow, Dept. of Materials Science (Michigan University), An Arbor, USA.
1995: Visiting Research Fellow, Dept. of Appl. Chem., Hamburg University, Germany.
1991-95: Senior Researcher at the Institute of Chemistry, Saint Petersburg State University.
1981-90: Asssistent of professor, Department of Chemistry, Saint Petersburg State University.
1977-1980: researcher at the Institute of Chemistry Saint Petersburg State University.
- Member of the Mendeleev Chemical Society of Russia,
- Member of the American Chemical Society,
- Member of Editorial Boards of “Journal of Nanomaterials” and “Nanoscience and Nanoengineering” (USA),
- Member of the Chemistry Committee of Russian Academy of Science (St.-Petersburg Branch),
- Expert of the Higher Attestation Commission under the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation,
- Expert of the Federal Agency of scientific organizations of the Russian Federation.
Awards and Distinctions
- Gold medal of Scientific Exhibition (Moscow, 1983);
- Elected and listed in Encyclopedia «Who is Who in the World», Dictionary of International Biography, 29th Edition, Cambridge, England;
- Honorary Certificate of the Ministry of Education of the Russian Federation (2010).
- RFBR (1998, 2001, 2005, 2008, 2011, 2013, 2015),
- ISF (1993, USA),
- DFG (1995, Germany),
- Haldor Topsoe A/G (2000, Denmark),
- Tokyo IT (Japan, 2000),
- CRDF (2004, USA),
- RFBR Russia-Ukraine (2011),
- INTAS (2005, France-Ukraine-Italy).
AUTHOR of more than 100 publications in international journals, 19 patents, 4 monographs. For example,
Book – Valeri P.Tolstoy, Irina V. Chernyshova, Valery A. Skryshevsky. Handbook of infrared spectroscopy of ultrathin films, 2003, Wiley&Sons, N-Y., USA, 740 p.
- A.A. Lobinsky, V.P. Tolstoy, L.B. Gulina, A novel oxidation-reduction route for Successive Ionic Layer Deposition of NiO1+x·nH2O nanolayers and their capacitive performance, Materials Research Bulletin, Vol. 76, 2016, pp. 229–234.
- A.A. Lobinsky, V.P. Tolstoy, L.B. Gulina, Direct synthesis of Co2Al(OH)7−2x(CO3)x∙nH2O layered double hydroxide nanolayers by successive ionic layer deposition and their capacitive performance, Applied Surface Science, Vol. 320, 2014, pp. 609–613.
- K.Semishchenko, V.Tolstoy, and A.Lobinsky, A Novel Oxidation-Reduction Route for Layer-by-Layer Synthesis of TiO2 Nanolayers and Investigation of Its Photocatalytical Properties, Journal of Nanomaterials Vol. 2014 (2014), Article ID 632068, 7 pages http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2014/632068.
- G.Korotcenkov, L.B.Gulina, B.Cho, V.Brinzari, V.P. Tolstoy, Synthesis by successive ionic layer deposition (SILD) methodology and characterization of gold nanoclusters on the surface of tin and indium oxide films, Pure and Applied Chemistry, Vol. 86, Issue 5, 2014, pp. 801–817, DOI: 10.1515/pac-2013-1102.
- L. B. Gulina, G. Korotcenkov , B. K. Cho , S. H. Han, V. P. Tolstoy, Ag nanoclusters synthesized by successive ionic layer deposition method and their characterization, Journal of Materials Science, 2011, Vol. 46, Issue 13, pp. 4555-4561.
- V.P. Tolstoy and L.B. Gulina, Synthesis of Birnessite Structure Layers at the Solution–Air Interface and the Formation of Microtubules from Them, Langmuir, 2014, 30 (28), pp. 8366–8372.
- L.B. Gulina , V.P. Tolstoy, I.A. Kasatkin, Yu.V. Petrov, Facile synthesis of LaF3 strained 2D nanoparticles and microtubes at solution–gas interface, Journal of Fluorine Chemistry, Vol. 180, 2015, pp. 117–121.
- V. P. Tolstoi, L. B. Gulina, Ozone interaction with manganese acetate solution. Formation of HxMnO2∙nH2O layers and microtubes based on them, Russian Journal of General Chemistry, 2013, Vol. 83, Issue 9, pp. 1635-1639.
- L. B. Gulina , V. P. Tolstoy, Reaction of gaseous hydrogen fluoride with the surface of lanthanum chloride solution to form LaF3∙nH2O film and microtubes thereof. Russian Journal of General Chemistry, 2014, Vol. 84, Issue 8, pp. 1472-1475.
- Ermakov, S.S., Nikolaev, K.G., Tolstoy, V.P. Novel electrochemical sensors with electrodes based on multilayers fabricated by layer-by-layer synthesis and their analytical potential (2016) Russian Chemical Reviews, 85 (8), pp. 880-900. DOI: 10.1070/RCR4605.
- Gulina, L.B., Schäfer, M., Privalov, A.F., Tolstoy, V.P., Murin, I.V. Synthesis of LaF3 nanosheets with high fluorine mobility investigated by NMR relaxometry and diffusometry (2015) Journal of Chemical Physics, 143 (23), article № 234702, DOI: 10.1063/1.4937415
- V.P. Tolstoy, A.A. Lobinsky, O.V. Levin, L.I. Kuklo, Direct synthesis of Ni2Al(OH)7−x(NO3)x∙nH2O layered double hydroxide nanolayers by SILD and their capacitive performance, Materials Letters, Vol. 139, 2015, pp. 4–6.