Irina A. Balova
Director of the Institute of Chemistry
Prof. of Organic Chemistry Department
Should any questions arise, contact Director of the Institute of Chemistry via E-Office at SPbU
Born in 1962 in Leningrad. In 1984 Irina graduated with honours in Chemistry from Leningrad University named after A.A. Zhdanov.
1989 — Candidate of Sciences in Chemistry; thesis title: "Prototropic Isomerisation of Diacetylenic Compounds in Synthesis of Diacetylenic Monomers".
2009 — Doctor of Sciences in Chemistry; thesis title: "Synthesis of Properties and Conversion of Functionalised Diacetylenes".
Since 1989 Irina Balova started working in SPbU (till 1991, in LU): she was a junior research associate, assistant lecturer, Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, and Professor at the Organic Chemistry Department.
From 2011 till 2013 — Dean of the Faculty of Chemistry.
Since 2014 — Director of the Institute of Chemistry at SPbU.
Member of the Presidium of St Petersburg branch of D.I. Mendeleev Chemical Society.
Acetylenic and diacetylenic compounds, synthesis of heterocyclic compound, metal catalytic reaction, methods and techniques of organic analysis.
PUBLICATIONS AND PATENTS
158 publications, including five inventor’s certificates and patents
The past 5 years publications
- N. A. Danilkina, L. Y. Gurskaya, A. V. Vasilyev, I. A. Balova. Towards Isocoumarin-Fused Enediyne Systems through the Electrophilic Cyclization of Methyl o-(Buta-1,3-diynyl)benzoates. European Journal of Organic Chemistry. 2016, Issue 4, 739–747. DOI: 10.1002/ejoc.201501262.
- V. N. Mikhaylov, V. N. Sorokoumov, K. A. Korvinson, A. S. Novikov, I. A. Balova. Synthesis and Simple Immobilization of Palladium(II) Acyclic Diaminocarbene Complexes on Polystyrene Support as Efficient Catalysts for Sonogashira and Suzuki−Miyaura Cross-Coupling. Organometallics, 2016, 35, 1684−1697. DOI: 10.1021/acs.organomet.6b00144.
- A. G. Lyapunova, N. A. Danilkina, A. F. Khlebnikov, B. Köberle, S. Bräse, I. A. Balova. Oxaenediynes through the Nicholas-Type Macrocyclization Approach. Eur. J. Org. Chem. 2016, 4842–4851.
- A. I. Govdi, A. E. Kulyashova, S. F. Vasilevsky, Irina A. Balova. Functionalized buta-1,3-diynyl-N-methylpyrazoles by sequential ‘‘diacetylene zipper” and Sonogashira coupling reactions. Tetrahedron Letters. 2017, 58, 762–765.
- V. N. Mikhaylov, V. N. Sorokoumov, I. A. Balova, "Polystyrene-supported palladium(II) diaminocarbene complexes: synthesis, investigation methods and application in the Sonogashira–Hagihara and Suzuki–Miyaura cross-couplings", Russ. Chem. Rev., 2017, 86 (6), 459–473. DOI: 10.1070/RCR4715.
- Gordeychuk, D., Kochemirovsky, V., Sorokoumov, V., Tumkin, I., Kuzmin, A., Balova, I.А. Copper particles generated during in situ laser-induced synthesis exhibit catalytic activity towards formation of gas phase. Journal of Laser Micro Nanoengineering 2017, 12 (2), 57-61. DOI: 10.2961/jlmn.2017.02.0001.
- L. Logunov, M. S. Panov, L.A. Myund, I. I. Tumkin, E. M. Khairullina, M. N. Ryazantsev, I. A. Balova, V. A. Kochemirovsky. Influence of the ligand nature on the in situ laser-induced synthesis of the electrocatalytically active copper microstructures. Arabian Journal of Chemistry 1878-5352, 2017. Volume 11, Issue 5, July 2018, Pages 624-634. DOI: 10.1016/j.arabjc.2017.11.003.
- Anna G. Lyapunova, Natalia A. Danilkina, Andrey M. Rumyantsev, A. F. Khlebnikov, Mikhail V. Chislov, Galina L. Starova, Elena V. Sambuk, Anastasya I. Govdi, Stefan Bräse, Irina A. Balova. The Relative Reactivity of Benzothiophene-fused Enediynes in the Bergman Cyclization. Journal of Organic Chemistry 2018, 83 (5), pp 2788–2801. DOI: 10.1021/acs.joc.7b03258.
- A. I. Konovalov, I. S. Antipin, V. A. Burilov, I. A. Balova and al. Modern Trends of Organic Chemistry in Russian Universities (Review). Russian Journal of Organic Chemistry. 2018, 54(2):157-371. DOI: 10.1134/S107042801802001X.
- V. Mikhaylov , V. Sorokoumov , D. M. Liakhov , A. Tskhovrebov, I. Balova. Polystyrene-supported acyclic diaminocarbene palladium complexes in Sonogashira cross-coupling: Stability vs Catalytic activity. Catalysts, 2018, 8(4), 141. DOI: 10.3390/catal8040141; Impact Factor: 3.465 (2017) ; 5-Year Impact Factor: 3.873 (2017).
- Alexandra V. Smikhovskaia, Maxim S. Panov, Ilya I. Tumkin, Evgeniia M.Khairullina, Sergey S.Ermakov, Irina A. Balova, Mikhail N. Ryazantsev, Vladimir A. Kochemirovsky. The in situ laser-induced codeposition of copper and different metals for fabrication of microcomposite sensor-active materials. Analytica Chimica Acta 2018, 1044, 138. DOI: 10.1016/j.aca.2018.07.042.
- Baranauskaite, V.E., Novomlinskii, M.O., Tumkin, I.I., Khairullina, E.M., Mereshchenko, A.S., Balova, I.A., Panov, M.S., Kochemirovsky, V.A. In situ laser-induced synthesis of gas sensing microcomposites based on molybdenum and its oxides. Composites Part B: Engineering. 2019, Volume 157, Pages 322-330.
- A.E. Kulyashova, A.V. Ponomarev, S.I. Selivanov, A.F. Khlebnikov, V.V.Popik, I.A.Balova. Cr(II)-promoted internal cyclization of acyclic enediynes fused to benzo[b]thiophene core: Macrocycles versus 2-methylenecycloalkan-1-ols formation. Arabian Journal of Chemistry. 2019, 12 (2), 151-167. DOI: 10.1016/j.arabjc.2018.05.005.
- A. I. Govdi, N. Danilkina, A. V. Ponomarev, I. A. Balova. 1-Iodobuta-1,3-diynes in Copper-Catalyzed Azide–Alkyne Cycloaddition: A One-Step Route to 4-Ethynyl-5-iodo-1,2,3-triazoles. J. Org. Chem., 2019, 84 (4), pp 1925–1940. DOI: 10.1021/acs.joc.8b02916.
- Natalia A. Danilkina, Andrey M. Rumyantsev, Anna L. Lyapunova, Alexander S. D’yachenko, Alexander F. Khlebnikov, Irina A. Balova. 10-Membered Azaenediyne Fused to a Benzothiophene through the Nicholas Macrocyclization: Synthesis and DNA Cleavage Ability. Synlett 2019, 30, 161–166. DOI: 10.1055/s-0037-1610352.
- Natalia A. Danilkina, Nina S. Bukhtiiarova, Anastasia I. Govdi, Anna A. Vasileva, Andrey M. Rumyantsev, Artemii A. Volkov, Nikita I. Sharaev, Alexey V. Povolotskiy, Irina A. Boyarskaya, Ilya V. Kornyakov, Polina V. Tokareva, Irina A. Balova. Synthesis and Properties of 6-Aryl-4-azidocinnolines and 6-Aryl-4-(1,2,3-1H-triazol-1-yl)cinnolines. Molecules 2019, 24(13), 2386. DOI: 10.3390/molecules24132386.
- Natalia A. Danilkina, Anna A. Vasileva, Irina A. Balova. A.E.Favorskii's scientific legacy in modern organic chemistry: prototropic acetyleneallene isomerization and the acetylene zipper reaction. Russian Chemical Reviews. 2020, 89 (1), 125 – 171. DOI: 10.1070/RCR4902.
- Natalia A. Danilkina, Anastasia I. Govdi, Irina A. Balova. 5-Iodo-1H-1,2,3-triazoles as Versatile Building Blocks (Review). Synthesis 2020, 52(13): 1874-1896. DOI: 10.1055/s-0039-1690858.
- Danilkina, N. A., D’yachenko, A., Govdi, A. I., Khlebnikov, A. F., Kornyakov, I., Bräse, S., & Balova, I. A. (2020). Intramolecular Nicholas Reactions in the Synthesis of Heteroenediynes fused to Indole, Triazole and Isocoumarin. The Journal of Organic Chemistry. DOI: 10.1021/acs.joc.0c00930.
- Mikhaylov, V. N.; Sorokoumov, V. N.; Novikov, A. S.; Melnik, M. V; Tskhovrebov, A. G.; Balova, I. A. Intramolecular hydrogen bonding stabilizes trans-configuration in a mixed carbene/isocyanide PdII complexes. J. Organomet. Chem. 2020, 121174. DOI: 10.1016/j.jorganchem.2020.121174.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS
- 1982 — Honorary Certificate of the Ministry of Education of the Russian Federation
- 2012 — lpel pin ‘Honorary Employee of Higher Education in Russia’
- 1990 — Honoured in the award of young scientists of LU
- "Associate Professor 2004" in St Petersburg, ISSEP
- Acknowledgment letter of the SPbU Rector