Department of Radiochemistry of Faculty of Chemistry of St.Petersburg (Leningrad) State University was founded in 1945. It was the very first Radiochemistry Department in Soviet Union. Now there is one more Radiochemistry Department in Russia in Moscow State University which was created later.
From the very beginning the main aim of St.Petersburg Radiochemistry Department was to teach students fundamental and applied radiochemistry for development new nuclear industry and the first Russian atomic bomb.
Radiochemistry Department had played a great role in these processes. Now there is considerable cooperation with many research institutes in Russia and also with laboratories and universities abroad. In the Radiochemistry Department there are 23 members of teaching and research staff. The Head of the Radiochemistry Department is Prof. Yuri Vlasov.